Dental Care On The Go – How To Care For Your Teeth While Travelling
How to care for your teeth while travelling – it’s great to go on an adventure overseas but it’s also super important to keep an eye on your tooth health when you’re out getting your passport stamped! Here are some tips from the friendly team at Walloon Dental to help ensure you return from your adventure with plenty of great memories and no problems with your choppers!
How to Care for Your Teeth While Travelling
Here are six tips from the Walloon Dental team to help you keep an eye on your teeth while you’re overseas:
- Pack a toiletries bag for your hand (carry on) luggage. If you have your toothbrush, toothpaste and floss and it is easily accessed, you will avoid disrupting normal brushing and flossing.
- Don’t speed up your routine! Commuting while travelling and hopping on and off planes/trains or tours can be hectic and exhausting but don’t change your usual 2 minute brushing and flossing routine. This should be a staple in your daily tasks (just like washing or eating).
- Consider what you eat. It’s okay to have some treats but please exercise some tooth careafterwards. Ensure you carry a water bottle with you to rinse out your mouth after eating and be conscious to still eat fresh fruit and vegetables when possible.
- Hydration is a major issue! Dehydration is common especially on long haul flights. A dry mouth is a fantastic environment for bacteria to grow on the tooth and this can lead to cavities. Keep a water bottle with you at all times and make sure to drink from it regularly. Sugar free chewing gum is another great way to stimulate your saliva glands.
- Get a checkup before you depart and check your travel insurance includes dental. There is no worse feeling than being away from home and having a tooth break or a toothache. Not only can it impact your day (or your tooth, for that matter) but it can also impact your wallet.
- Enjoy yourself and be sure to let the team know about your trip! Our staff enjoy travelling and would like to hear of the adventures you have been on for inspiration.
Contact us if you have any questions about tooth care while travelling or would like to make an appointment before you go or when you get back!